Friday, December 5, 2008

A Small World

The world is shrinking. I have evidence.

Wadi Rum, Jordan. The bedouin girls are showing me photos on their cell phones and the slideshow is accompanied by music. Not just any music, but a popular Romanian hit at the time. I am startled to hear Romanian lyrics in the middle of the desert.

Damascus, Syria. I'm sipping a coffee in one of the historic coffee houses near the Great Mosque. The soulful melodious call of the muezzine has just ended and I can now hear the background music on the radio. It is unmistakenly Gheorghe Zamfir's flute (nai).

Sidon, Lebanon. Katja's brother-in-law, the lady who runs the small hotel in the old town, is a doctor and lives in Romania. He went to Romania to study medicine about 20 years ago and then married and stayed there. Katja's husband - who has visited his brother in Romania - greets me in the morning with a wonderful smile: "Buna dimineatza!"


As for Canada, in this part of the world everybody seems to have at least a relative living in Canada. And the Canadian winter is something everybody has heard about.

No comments: