Wednesday, May 16, 2012

My Personal Enemy


I have a big enemy. For many years I've been fighting it and, I hope, that I'll never stop doing that. Every single time I compromised with it, surrendering, making peace, I paid dearly.

Wondering by now what or who this is ? It's comfort, the mother of laziness, the kind of comfort that paralyzes your will and imagination and stops progress. The comfort that lures you into a false state of security, gnawing at your strengths, swallowing your initiatives and dimming your awareness.
The comfort of a relationship can make you forget about giving and stimulating. The comfort of a job can make you ignore and forget how volatile a job is. The comfort of things working smoothly can make you forget about the fuel and mechanism behind them. This comfort can become a personal ivory tower, a place where you hide away ignoring facts and reality and taking things for granted.

I am not a masochist, as some like to think, but I do prefer discomfort for what it stimulates and brings. The need for action, the desire to do something about it, the search for solutions and ideas.

No comments: