Sunday, December 9, 2012

Matching Requirements

Christmas preps 3 years ago ... :-)

"We are looking for the ideal candidate to complete our ideal development team, composed of multi-talented OSS wizards in a LAMP environment."

I'm reading this and wondering. Why do people like to use big words? Why do we look for ideal people, ideal solutions and ideal things all the time ? Do we ever call this world ideal? Do we ever think of our planet as ideal ? Well, define ideal...
I see "ideal" as something immutable and inflexible. Does it leave room to grow, to learn, to evolve? Why is "good" not good anymore? Very good? Did we abuse the word until we had to look for alternatives? What will happen as soon as "ideal" will lose its strength ?

I think that in an "ideal" world we'd be more open and more tolerant. There wouldn't be just the ideal item in the ideal list. But the well placed item in a useful list.

I have this vision of myself walking around disguised as a Christmas tree. Except that the Christmas tree decorations are keywords and acronyms dangling off my body. I'm advertising my skills.
Not being a multi-talented wizard, not being ideal in any respects and being happy with my non-ideal state, what's left? Luckily, I don't feel like spending my life in a keyword environment.

No comments: